What do you think of a series focusing on salvation? More precise, a series of word studies from the Greek New Testament on salvation?
I thought you’d like the idea!
This post is an introduction to the upcoming series. Here I will discuss why I chose this subject, how I plan to engage these studies, and when you can plan on seeing them.
Why did I choose this topic? There are multiple layers to this answer. One reason is I am working through this doctrine with my Middle School class at Citizens Christian Academy (and it’s awesome.) A second reason is recent conversations with other ministers. However, the most significant reason is salvation is important. We must get this doctrine right!
Next, I want you to know I am not a New Testament Greek scholar, but I am pastor-theologian. I have not mastered biblical Greek, but I am proficient with Greek language tools. I am still growing in grace and knowledge.
However, here are a few of the books and tools I have at my disposal.
- Cowen, Gerald. Salvation: Word Studies from the Greek New Testament. Nashville, TN: Broadman Press, 1990.
- The WORDsearch Interlinear Bible–New Testament Austin, TX: WORDsearch, 2004. WORDsearch CROSS e-book.
- Mounce, William D. Greek for the Rest of Us: Using Greek Tools without Mastering Biblical Languages. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2003.
This is not to mention my personal library that comprises hundreds of digital and print articles, essays, and books.
Using Cowen’s book as an outline, I will offer commentary and reflection on the following subjects.
- What is salvation?
- Why is salvation needed?
- What is the purpose of salvation?
- What is the basis of salvation?
- What is the applications of salvation?
- What is the results from salvation?
- What is the assurance of salvation?
I am in the throws of life as a husband, parent, pastor, and part-time teacher. My goal is to post bi-weekly on Tuesdays in this series. You can expect a new post on January 22,2019. I would love for you to take this journey with me. Will you grow with me?